Running Progress

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

DMV

So, I had to renew my registration in September. I waited until my new address was activated and sent in the registration with the address change (b/c you can't do an address change online with a registration renewal). I also sent in a change of address for a new license. Now the DMV has cashed the check for the registration renewal but not for the license. I checked online today and my license should be mailed tomorrow (check is still not cashed). I couldn't check the status of my registration b/c I didn't do it online (which as I stated they don't allow when you also need to change your address). Here's the kicker...

My registration expired yesterday and I still don't have a new registration. So I called DMV (which took my 1/2 of the morning to not get a busy signal) and after a 10 minute wait on hold I spoke to a lovely customer service representative. She informed me that I didn't need to renew my registration b/c it was valid until 9/10...duh, that's b/c I just renewed it. She told me that the transaction was processed on September 9th and I informed her I still did not have my new registration. After confirming my mailing address, she said she could send another one out to me which would take 5-7 business days. When I asked what I was supposed to do between now and then she told me I could get a ticket if a cop wants to pull me over. Really? I would never have known that an expired registration is grounds for (1) pulling someone over and (2) writing a ticket. She then told me it was best not to call for this type of thing. So I asked her what I was supposed to do and she directed me to my nearest DMV location who can issue me a new registration on the spot, for $3 of course.

Now, doesn't the State of New York make enough from us on taxes, fees, etc. that they don't need to charge someone for documents that they were supposed to send but were never received?

GRRRRRR!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Julie said...

If you belong to AAA you can go to one of their offices and they can print you a duplicate registration form. I had to do that once and it was such a relief to have it instead of waiting for the DMV to get off their asses.