Running Progress

Friday, October 30, 2009

Sterile Sample...

So, I took Lupe to the vet yesterday afternoon for a follow up visit from her UTI. She has finished the 3 weeks of antibiotics (will help from Greenies Pill Pockets...these are wonderful if you ever have to give animals medication) and they wanted to check to see if the antibiotics worked. I was told they needed a sterile sample, so I figured that they were going to catch urine in a sterile cup. Makes sense...

They took Lupe towards the back, I thought that odd, since the last time I went with the tech to walk her while the tech used a ladle to catch the urine. Lupe and the tech came back about 5 or 10 minutes later and she told me that they were unable to collect the sample. They used an ultrasound but her bladder was too small and they want to have to stick her and not get anything out. They had me make another appointment for next week to try again.

Wait a second, STICK HER?! With what and where?! I did some looking online this morning and it appears the best way to get a sterile urine sample is to insert a syringe through the abdominal wall and into the bladder! Ah, NO! Lupe is 12 years old, I am NOT having her stuck so that they can get urine to confirm the antibiotics work. She is not symptomatic so this is just not necessary in my mind. I called the vet this morning, explained I was not comfortable with this and cancelled the appointment. I told them that if she became symptomatic, that I would bring her back and we could discuss this option.

Seriously, they were going to stick her like this? No one explained this to me...how would I know what this entailed as I am not a doctor, vet or vet tech...nor do I work in a doctor's or vet's office. Lupe's vets' office is wonderful! I have never had anything like this happen before there and I will from now on double and triple check what they are doing to her before they do it. And if I don't understand it, I will ask them to explain to me in detail what a procedure involves. I am SO glad she didn't have enough urine in her bladder for them to do this yesterday! I would have been in tears!!!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Aw, poor Lupe! I know it sounds just awful but I'm hoping it's not as horrible as it sounds since it is a fairly standard procedure - I know they've done it with Winnie since it's more difficult to "catch" urine from a cat - particularly one that has kidney disease and is nearing 16 yrs old. But, regardless, mommy knows best and you are the best mommy Lupe could ever hope for :). Love you!!