Running Progress

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sweet Sixteen

Today is my Little Sister's 16th birthday. I can't believe she is 16 already! I decided to become a Big Sister after my Grandma died in 2001. I wanted to do something positive with my time and I figured it was a great organization.

After months of filling out applications, background checks, training and waiting, Amie and I were finally matched in March of 2002. She had just turned 9 and had been waiting for a Big Sister since her previous Big got married and ended the match. Our visit thing we did together? Rollerskating! It was a BLAST!!!

Over the years, I have watched how Amie has grown and matured. The 9-year old that was shorter than me, now towers over me. The poor student is now an honor student. The shy and sometimes hard little girl has turned into a warm, open and polite teenager. The girl who needed my mentoring, friendship and caring has given the same back to me so many times.

Tonight she has a basketball game and I'm going to watch showing up with her birthday card and a dozen pink roses. I'm so proud of who she is and who she has the potential to be.

Happy Birthday Amie!

No comments: