Running Progress

Monday, August 10, 2009

1 down, 45 to go...

Saturday I finally hiked a high peak in the Adirondacks! It has taken me 15 years of living in the area to finally do it, but glad I waited! Dan, Maria, Jim and I tackled Giant Mountain which is in Keene, NY (about 30 minutes outside of Lake Placid). FYI, Giant Mountain’s elevation is over 46oo feet!!! It was a beautiful sunny day and there weren't many people at the top when we got there. G oing down, we passed almost 100 heading up. We could see to Whiteface, Mt. Marcy and Lake Champlain. I made tentative plans to hike a high peak 3 years ago, but never went through with them. Instead, my first high peak was with great friends on a fantastic day...think the hiking bug may have officially bitten me, although my quads are too happy with that thought... :)
Here's a quick summary of the day...

4:30 am - alarm goes off
4:55 am - walk Lupe
5:05 am - leave apartment
5:25 am - arrive at Dan & Maria's (5 minutes late)
5:35 am - Dan, Maria, Jim and I are on the road
7:25 am - arrive at trailhead in Keene, NY
7:30 am - hit the trail
10:45 am - arrive at summit (what an AWESOME view)
11:20 am - after lunch, head back down the trail
2:25 pm - reach trailhead again

Here are pictures as proof that I actually did this.
Maria and I signing at the trailhead

The gang (Dan, Jim, Me and Maria)

Maria, Jim and I considering the rockslide we need to climb

Me at the summit...awesome view of some of the other highpeaks

Maria and I at the top (the mountain all the way to the right is Whiteface in Lake Placid)

No comments: