Running Progress

Thursday, August 6, 2009

A dog, a memory and a birthday

So I found out on Tuesday that Lupe's hearing loss is permanent and most likely a result of her age and not the recent ear infection...which has cleared up. It was really hard to get the confirmation. I remember when I found out about her eyes completely losing it and the vets telling me not to be too concerned because dogs use their hearing more than their sight. Okay, so now what? Its going to be a period of adjusting to using hand signals and trying to remember I can't call her name anymore to get her attention. There will probably be no more head cocks like she used to do when she would hear her name or a funny noise. But she is still my Lupe and I love her to pieces.

Yesterday was the 16th anniversary of my Nana's passing. Its a little bittersweet this year now that we have just lost Poppi. I can only hope that they are together again and catching up on the years that they have been apart. I think of how much has changed in 16 years and I'm saddened by all that she has missed...weddings, grandkids, great grandkids, graduations, World Series victories by the Red Sox. Nana was a HUGE Sox fan!

Today is my cousin Michael's 15th birthday...I can't believe that little newborn I held in my arms 15 years ago is now a wonderful, caring and sweet teenager. He's such a great person. I remember my uncle telling me that I was going to be his godmother and being so shocked and touched that they would want me. Just 1 more year until he can drive...yikes!!!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

OMG! When did Michael grow up?!? He is so not allowed to do that when I'm not paying attention. snarf!

Just remember... Lu will always be Lu. And she will always love you unconditionally.

(HUGS)