Running Progress

Friday, January 30, 2009

Preparation for a solemn day

Tomorrow is my Mom's yahrzeit. For those who don't know what that is, it is the anniversary of someone's death. Jewish tradition follows the Hebrew calendar dates, so although she died on Februrary 3rd this year that corresponding Hebrew date is January 31st. (Every wonder why Jewish holidays fall on different dates each year? This is why...) Of course the significance of February 3rd is much stronger for me and my family, but so is the actual yahrzeit date.

Although tomorrow is the date of the yahrzeit, you begin observing at sundown the night before the actual day (another one of our little quirks I guess).

To mark it this year, I am leaving work early to go home and light a candle for her. Well, plug in the little yarzheit light I have...burning a candle for 24 hours isn't the safest thing to do. I'll read a couple of psalms in honor of her as well. Tonight I will go to temple and recite the Mourners' Kaddish. I called my Dad to remind him that he should go to temple, especially since they will read her name outloud to the congregation there. My brother is in Ethiopia right now but I'll send him an email to remind him as well.

Tomorrow will be a quiet day and I will surround myself with caring friends and my wonderful little Lupe. I really want Lupe around as she brings me so much happiness and my Mom absolutely adored her. I've noticed that I've started to call her by the nicknames my Mom did. Its a silly connection, but still a meaningful one.

Happy Friday all and enjoy your weekend!!!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I'm thinking of you. Call me if you need me. (((HUGS)))